In addition to hosting onsite and online workshops, CEILS provides services such as consultations for individual instructors as well as formal mentoring programs for current and future faculty interested in becoming more effective teachers, assessing student learning, developing grant proposals, engaging in education research or other scholarly teaching activities.
Annual Faculty Professional Development Programs
- Summer Institute for Transforming Undergraduate STEM Education: The SI is a nationally recognized, prestigious teaching development program that has trained more than 1,000 faculty in evidence-based instruction over the last decade, including over a dozen UCLA science faculty who will be serving as facilitators of this esteemed week-long institute beginning in summer 2017.
- Annual UCLA Faculty Workshop on Best Practices in Teaching: A full-day event for faculty and instructors held prior to the beginning of the academic year. Topics include inclusive teaching practices, highlights from current education research, tips and strategies for increasing active learning and student engagement, and multiple concurrent sessions on specific tools and teaching approaches.
- Faculty Learning Program to Improve STEM Undergraduate Teaching and Learning: CEILS offers faculty teaching development to interested UCLA and Community College STEM faculty through participation in Transforming College Teaching: Statewide Implementation of the Faculty Learning Program to Improve Stem Undergraduate Teaching and Learning.
Individual faculty consultations
- Course design
- Evidence-based teaching in small and large classrooms
- Technology assistance (such as clickers)
- Assessment design
- Peer-to-peer mentoring about effective teaching practices
- Getting feedback from students – mid-quarter evaluations and additional “just in time” techniques
Bringing Theory to Practice (BTtoP) Workshops
- Led by CEILS Team and Instructional Consultants to assist with course design, implementing active learning, or use instructional technology
- Workshops provided quarterly and annually to support current and future faculty interested in adopting student-centered teaching practices
- View a full list of our BTtoP workshops with descriptions
Departmental Training & Consultation Services
- Inclusive teaching tidbits – 20 minute sessions modeling inclusive pedagogy that can be implemented in large and small STEM courses
- Curricular planning consultations – Providing a structure to improve the alignment of learning outcomes across courses in the major
- Targeted training based on departmental needs – Engaging TACs and Faculty Advisors to improve 495 TA training courses, facilitate classroom technology training for faculty cohorts, coordinate training of faculty working groups interested in developing clicker questions, common exam questions, case study examples, or other learning assets
- BTtoP Workshops can be offered as part of departmental trainings
- Constructive feedback for individual instructors provided about teaching behaviors, practices, and classroom setting
- We can provide both qualitative and quantitative feedback on active engagement occurring in your courses by using tools such as the Classroom Observation Protocol for Undergraduate STEM (COPUS)
- A CEILS staff member can facilitate a student-centered anonymous focus group to help individual instructors as well as departments gather feedback from students on successes and challenges present in their course(s).
Request a Consultation
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the following form to request a meeting with one of our team members.